- Part of the camelid family.
- Small and easy to care for.
- Can be transported in mini vans, SUV’s, enclosed trucks and horse trailers.
- Do not bite.
- Feet are padded like dogs, so they do little damage to their pasture.
- Have three stomachs and therefore process their food very efficiently.
- Eat primarily grass, but hay and some grain should be added.
- Require fencing for protection.
- Do not challenge fences.
- Require little acreage, 5 to 8 alpacas per acre.
- Can live in pretty much any climate, but should be sheared in the summer.
- Like a camel, alpacas can go without water for a while, but they should have clean, fresh water.
- They usually pick one or two spots for doing their “business,” which makes for easy clean up.
- Their “business” does not need to be composted, it is ready for use.
- Considered quite disease resistant, therefore not a lot of medical bills, and insurance is lower.
- They prefer not to be touched around their face, just like us.
- Fiber is beautiful and comes in many different colors.
- Are beautiful and curious animals.
- Fleece can be made into beautiful sweaters, blankets, hats, scarfs, cria coats and just about whatever you can imagine.